me

me

Friday 17 July 2015

The Afternoon Tea Series: The Quarter Penny Cafe, Cowbridge

Despite living in Cowbridge for nearly all of my 21 years upon this planet, I was somehow unaware that I needn't travel far to get my scone fix, when I can find a great little Afternoon Tea here in Cowbridge!

So, needless to say that upon discovering that the ever-popular Quarter Penny Cafe serve Afternoon Tea, I recruited a sweet-toothed friend and headed straight down into town.

It's a great little place, buzzy atmosphere, cosy low ceilings and a first rate selection of cakes and desserts - their pavlova is legendary. 
Be sure to sit in the garden if there's a hint of sunshine, as it's a total suntrap.

The price of their Afternoon Tea is impressive. As opposed to the likes of the Hilton and Pettigrew who charge around £15 per head, The Quarter Penny charge £7.95, which is super good value.

This price includes a pot of tea or coffee, four kinds of sandwiches, a fruit scone each (with clotted cream and jam, duh!) and a slice of carrot cake.
Unlike Pettigrew, however, you are unable to choose your sandwich fillings or kind of scone. 


The sandwiches (tuna and cucumber, coronation chicken, smoked salmon and cream cheese, and egg mayonnaise) were all lovely and very generously filled! Further, there were two of each which made sharing easy. 

The scones, whilst perfectly nice, could have been better. Unlike some tearooms that bake their scones to order, ours had been baked that morning and were a little on the dry side. However the cream and Tiptree blackcurrant jam (my favourite jam!) made it enjoyable nonetheless. 

The staff kindly allowed me to swap my carrot cake for a generous slice of coffee and walnut, which was gorgeous!

Only other negative is the fact that I was served a rather cheap tea bag with no string. However for those who aren't fussed on having loose leaf or posh tea bags, there's no issue!

Though it's not the very best Afternoon Tea I've had, it is certainly a fabulous and plentiful treat for a bargain price. 
Definitely check the Quarter Penny Cafe out on your next visit to Cowbridge 





No comments:

Post a Comment