me

me

Saturday 25 July 2015

The Afternoon Series: Boston Tea Party

Going a little off-road with this post, as there isn't a Boston Tea Party in Wales.

However, through living in Exeter for University, and frequently visiting Bristol, I am well acquainted with the South-West chain of cafe-come-brunch bars. 
In fact it's fair to say that I'm a big fan -their range of cakes and treats are broad and delicious. Their vegetarian and gluten free options are great. Their prices are reasonable, and they are always in quirky buildings, each with a slightly different aesthetic to offer. 

Their Afternoon Tea costs £9.95 per person (min. 2) and is served daily from 2pm from memory.

Their tiered stands contain four types of sandwiches (the standard offering of smoked salmon and cream cheese, cucumber and cream cheese, ham and mustard and egg mayonnaise).

A GIANT scone is served with strawberry jam and clotted cream. It is freshly warmed and delicious. 

Finally, there is a random selection of four cakes, cut into small slices. 




It is HUGE! The first time I had it, I ended up taking about 2 napkins stuffed with cake home with me. For me, this is no bad thing - afternoon tea is meant to be dinky and refined but I'd much rather too much than walk away peckish. 

Tea is really high quality, served loose leaf in quaint tin teapots - there is a choice of English Breakfast, Assam and Earl Grey.

For me, the highlight is certainly the cakes. The selection of cakes will vary each time, and they're all - without exception - stunning. Even better, the friendly staff are often open to suggestion if there's a certain treat you have your eye on for the stand (I recommend the coconut chocolate flapjack and the Bosco cheesecakes)

On the downside, the bread of the sandwhiches have (on occasion) tasted dry, as if they've been sat around.
Also, the mustard in the ham and mustard actually blew my head off and made me sneeze - watch out if you're sensitive to this!

One final negative is the lack of a refined experience. The cafe is self-serve, you are given standard issue mugs; no quaint tea cups or saucers. 
However it's delicious, and if you're after a silver service experience you should expect to be paying at least 50% more.

Boston Tea Party's are great places with tasty grub and a welcoming atmosphere. If you venture Bristol-way, there are several worth checking out! 




No comments:

Post a Comment