me

me

Saturday 8 August 2015

The Afternoon Tea Series: Cox and Baloney Tearoom, Bristol

Officially no longer an unemployed student, I have been hired as a Marketing Executive and moved to Bristol.
As a result, my blog posts will largely be about Bristol based eateries than Cardiff's - but never fear, my ravenous appetite and I will often be back home.

What better way to celebrate my new job and flat than a lovely afternoon tea!?
Only problem was deciding where to visit first. After having my eye on this vibrant, cutesty Boutique & Tearoom in the trendy Stokes Croft area of Bristol for a while, Cox and Baloney was my choice.



First impressions; this place is gorgeous. Mismatched furniture and cutlery, bright wall-paintings and knick-knacks aplenty, these guys have the afternoon tea aesthetic down to a T.
Staff are super chatty and personable, as common in the quirky Stokes Croft, known for its independent business and community feel.

Priced at £18.50 per person, the afternoon tea is admittedly more expensive than I was expecting.
For the price, you get a pot of loose-leaf of your choice, three tiered stand with a selection of sandwiches (Ham & Mustard, Egg Mayonnaise and Cucumber, Tuna and sweetcorn, and Cheese and Chutney), a fruit scone with strawberry jam and clotted cream, and a selection of mini cakes (we were given carrot, some kind of crumble-topped berry cake, and a bakewell slice).

What I loved most about this place was the atmosphere - you are made to feel so welcome by the chatty staff, there was a buzz with hen parties and birthdays (dressed up in 50s tea dresses no less!)

Furthermore, the home-blend loose leaf are not only delicious but really imaginative. I chose the 'Sir Bountiful' to indulge my coconut obsession. A play on my favourite chocolate bar, the Bounty, black tea is blended with dried coconut slices, chocolate drops, thistle and cornflowers. The sweet, rich tea was the perfect accompaniment to the sweet foods, I was mad about it!



The sandwiches were served on really soft, thick slices of bread: lush! The cheese and chutney was especially enjoyable. However, I would say the were fillings were a little on the thin side.
The scones were great, and the jam was really chunky with strawberry pieces, just how I like it.



No complaints on the cakes, well spiced carrot, dense, rich bakewell. However, I wouldn't say they were particularly impressive in comparison to others I've had.



Overall, the experience was lovely, their stand-out point being the unique teas - clearly a lot of thought went into them and it was fab to see more than the standard offerings of Assam and Earl Grey.
I'm glad I went to try, but based on the price, the food didn't stand out enough for me to return for Afternoon Tea. I will however, be back for another cup of Sir Bountiful and toastie, which are much more reasonable.


No comments:

Post a Comment