me

me

Thursday 13 August 2015

Damn good chilli: Mathilda's Chilli Bar, Stokes Croft

I've always been a firm believe in quality over quantity. I'd much rather have a small, concise menu that doesn't cut corners, than a sprawling menu that takes on too much. 

As such, I bloody loved the concept of Mathilda's: you want chilli? they do chilli, and a damn good one at that. 
Don't expect much else. But if that's a problem, head to your nearest chain pub for a sub-par plate of literally whatever the hell you want. 

Tucked away underground, in the Bearpit between Cabot and Stokes, Mathilda's is easy to miss. It's unassuming amongst the graffiti'd tunnels. A very cool looking place nonetheless. 
Golden syrup pots hold cutlery, glasses are redundant when a can does the job, and decor is minimal. Stylish in a no-frills way. Very Stokes Croft.

Speaking of no frills, the prices are very very reasonable. For £8.50 I had a full meal, and a can of Stowford Press. In fact, the deal was £6.95 for a bean chilli and drink, but I extravagantly splashed out £1.50 to upgrade to a mixed brisket chilli, topped with cheese. Feckin' bargain. 


As my attractively filtered photograph hopefully demonstrates - it's a tasty dish. Thick, well-flavoured chilli was packed with different beans, alongside tender chunks of brisket. 
I'm also pleased to say that, unusually, I didn't even need to reach for the Tabasco because it packed just the right punch of heat. 

The rice was nicely cooked, and the addition of guac and jalapeƱos were the icing on the cake. 
Ate it all up. Just sorry I didn't leave room for a Sundae.

The onion rings and FRIED PICKLES (!!!!) looked impressive, so you bet your bottom dollar I'll be back to try em.

I really urge you to try this place if you're around - it's so nice to support local, and when it's this good there's no excuse not to. No frilly, just good chilli.

Twitter's here for you folk to keep up on their deals/drool over their photos: 
https://twitter.com/MathildasChilli

No comments:

Post a Comment