me

me

Monday 17 August 2015

Getting experimental: Cauliflower Rice


Didn't anticipate this blog featuring much of my own cooking because, well, I'm not very good.
Dinner usually involves throwing various ingredients at a frying-pan and hoping I don't get sick. Okay, that's an exaggeration. But still, nothing much to blog about, right?

But I got thinking. I'm sure there are many people out there like me. People who are overwhelmed by a Nigella Lawson or Jamie Oliver recipe. Perhaps I could be helping some poor starving fool with my easy-as-shit creations. If I can make them taste good I'm sure anyone can.

Tonight's dinner was a foray into the mysterious and dubious world of vegetable improv.
Courgetti? Caulirice? Mushroom 'burger-buns'?
"R U MAD?"
It seems lately the fashionable foodie trend is to make low-carb veggie versions or everything. At first I was majorly side-eyesing the whole phenomenon.

But as I starting taken my Gluten Free diet more seriously to help my stomach troubles, I softened to the idea. 
After tonight's rather delightful dinner, I'm ever softer (oo-err).



I don't know what to call this dish... perhaps Asian-style Veggie Caulirice. Yes, that.

How do you make the darn stuff?
Cauli rice is SO simple I can't believe I didn't try it before.
You chop about a third of a cauliflower head into florets and grate it all up. 
Fry it for a few minutes. aaaaand that's literally it.

My Recipe

First off I boiled a handful of frozen broad beans (though I think edamame would be better with the Asian flavours in this dish) and an egg.
I mean, ye I probably shouldn't have boiled them in the same pan, but I told you I ain't a chef.

As they boiled, I fried the caulirice with onion, garlic, and quite a bit of ginger. I use the stuff in a jar (duh) but you can grate fresh if you fancy.

Here comes the very difficult bit: put the rice onto a plate, top with the beans, the boiled egg, and half an avocado. Psyche, still simples.
Top with hoisin or soy sauce. Some chilli would be nice too I'm sure.

TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAH.
Took me about 10 minutes, was cheap as chips and filled me up far more than I expected.

I think the trick with caulirice is to make sure you add filling ingredients to it, so that the low-carb content doesn't leave you hungry. The high-protein of egg and avocado for example, kept me satiated.

No comments:

Post a Comment